Central Ohio Moving Tips
Let's face it; moving is no picnic... even if you're just moving across town. Relocating to a whole new town or state can be even more stressful and uncertain.
But don't worry; we're here to help make the move go smoothly, any way we can. Whether you've got questions about the area, the local schools, or the neighborhoods, we're never more than a phone call away. But in the meantime, here are some tips for making your move a little more organized.
Pre-Moving and Packing Tips
Lighten Up... your stuff, that is
Host a garage or yard sale to get rid of outgrown or unused belongings. If time prevents you from holding a yard sale, consider donating unneeded items to a charitable organization like the Salvation Army or Goodwill. The more you get rid of, the less you pack!
- Use sturdy, reinforced boxes, and if packing fragile items, pack them with care.
- Consider using bubble wrap or other packing material for extra cushion and security.
- If you secure free boxes at your neighborhood supermarket or liquor store, just remember they are not reinforced.
- Pack dishes, bowls, plates and other glass objects vertically, rather than flat and stacked.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes.
- Mark fragile boxes so movers can identify them quickly and easily.
- Pack boxes by room and label as you go to make for easier unloading and unpacking.
- Create an "OPEN ME FIRST" box containing essentials like toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, paper towels, tools, and any other items your family can't do without. Have this box available so it can be removed first from the moving van.
- Be sure you point out to your mover those boxes that contain high-value items and secure extra insurance for those items.
On Moving Day
Protect your info
Be sure to keep any important personal information—such as medication, financial records, IDs, and other important documents or high-value items—with you at all times.
Take a bag
If you make it home before the moving truck, you'll be glad you prepared ahead by packing a back with all your personal essentials, like a toothbrush, a change of clothes, your toiletries, and a phone charger.
Have numbers handy
Keep your moving foreman's contact information with you in case you need to reach your movers for any reason. It's also handy to have the Bill of Loading and shipment registration number with you.
After Your Move
Change the Locks
There's no way of knowing who the previous owner might've given a copy of the key... and who might still have a copy! Reduce risk of unwary walk-ins by changing the locks right away.
It's a lot easier to vacuum, mop, and dust when there's no furniture in the way. Before you start unpacking or even unloading boxes, take some time to tidy up. You don't want to be moving into someone else's mess!
Unpack by Room
Start with the most important rooms first (such as bedroom or kitchen) to make sure you've got all the essentials ready (like your bed and cooking utensils). You can make the big process of unpacking seem smaller by breaking it down into several smaller tasks. There's no rush to unpack, so take your time to get organized.
Ready to Find You Home in Central Ohio?
If you're ready to find the perfect home in Central Ohio or you have any questions about buying a home or real estate in the area, please don't hestitate to contact us. We're your local guides to all things Central Ohio and we're more than happy to help! Want to learn more about buying a home in the Columbus area? We've got plenty of resources to help you out!